I’ve decided that each weekend shall be the time I take to discuss books I’ve received to review and/or books I’ve bought the week before, and any news that particular caught my interest.
- Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3) by Laini Taylor (review) from Hachette Australia via NetGalley
- Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine #2) by Jaclyn Moriarty (review) from PanMacmillan Australia
- The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris (bought)
I don’t think I can accurately sum up how excited I am for Laini Taylor’s third book. I think I made a strangled kind of noise when I saw that it was available on NetGalley for reviewing. The days waiting for approval felt ten times longer – all this for a series I was initially reluctant to even try when I first received the first book to review out of nowhere. Then fell in love with by the end of the first page.
I sneakily got the review copy onto my kindle whilst at work within minutes of being approved for Dreams of Gods and Monsters and started it in my lunch break. And quickly realised I really had to re-read the first two in order to appreciate it properly. Which isn’t exactly a bad thing because it’s been incredibly enjoyable to re-read, but goodness did I just want to start the new book STRAIGHT AWAY. Amazingly, the series was even better than I remembered and I enjoyed the re-read immensely.
I’m also SO excited for Cracks in the Kingdom, which arrived on a rainy day last week. The postman didn’t put the mail in the box correctly so it was utterly soaked and warped. I’ve managed to dry it best I can but it’s still a little disappointing. Also, the book is printed in a different size with totally different artwork than how the first was printed here – not sure if we’ll be getting a different version later?
The long awaited book ‘Dreams of Gods and Monsters’ by Laini Taylor, third in the ‘Daughter of Smoke and Bone’ series is almost here. You can actually start reading it (the first two chapters, at least!) over on EW’s Shelf Life. You can find a link to it here.
For iBooks and kindle readers in Australia and New Zealand, you can currently download Juliet Marillier’s ‘Shadowfell’, first in her Shadowfell series – to celebrate the near release of the third in the series. This offer runs out on March 1st 2014. Click here for a link to iTunes. and click here for a link to Amazon.
In other news, did you know that at J. K. Rowling’s recent talk at the Sheldonian Theatre at Oxford University she reportedly stated that instead of “Harry Potter,” her title character was initially named Harry Batt.
Other links of notice:
- Tansy Rayner Roberts gets her awesome feminist rant on and discusses authors of influence
- The Guardian also discusses how so few bookstores bother promoting females who write fantasy
- 12th Planet Press have multiple books on the Aurealis Awards shortlist and offer a sale on these titles to celebrate!
- FableCroft‘s Insert Title Here anthology closes their submissions February 28, 2014 so get in quick!
Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3) by Leigh Bardugo.
Expected publication: June 17th 2014 by Hachette.
Cover Not Final – This Shattered World (Starbound #2) by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner.
Expected publication: November 11th 2014 by Allen & Unwin.
Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy #3) by Sarah Rees Brennan.
Expected publication: September 23rd 2014 by Random House.